3.3.10

The Biggest Loser? I'd say The Biggest Spirit...

I watched NBC's The Biggest Loser: Couples last night by pure coincidence (you might think I purposely tuned in for the sake of my fitness research, but heeeeey I actually didn't!) and I have to tell you... it got me thinking. First off, I'd like to say I've developed the truest, most honest sympathy for these contestants. They are truly great, real people whose lives have been turned upside down because of their lack of healthy eating 101's. They've gone through life knowing no better than to eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches followed by cake, Reese's, and frequent [not-so-]happy[-anymore] meals at McDonald's.

You know, one of the biggest and most fruitful gifts our culture has given us is free will. My God, it is absolutely EVERYTHING and has made us what we are today. We totally take it for granted, not realizing that because of it we decide everything, from which movie we're going to see next Wednesday at Cinepolis's 2x1 and what we're gonna wear to Carlos's pool party to whether or not we buy those mouth-watering strawberries covered in white chocolate. And THERE, sweethearts, lies our problem. At least, my problem (if you consider yourself a privileged health guru). I have the freest, most liberal free will (pun intended) that I used to forget that there were brakes and stop buttons in my system. As I've said before, I never thought I had a problem. I always thought I had the right to eat and drink absolutely anything anytime every time. So I kept indulging in brownies and 4 scoops of ice cream like I had the gift of ultimate thinness. But you know what? That shit stopped nearly one month ago. I've gained something I refused to acknowledge before: awareness. And that's ALL it took to change the dangerous course I was taking. When you are aware of what you're doing and how damaging it can be to you, that's when you think twice before hurting yourself. That's when you realize you're actually hurting yourself. And I'm thrilled that those big losers are in fact turning into the biggest fucking winners. I can't even imagine what it most be like to walk around on the streets of this shallow world and feel the stares from people filled with pity and disgust for you. Or have people refuse to speak to you and ignore you because you're fat. I can't even imagine what it's like for people not to be able to do normal things but feel like outcasts instead.

This...

...is awareness.

Seeing things like this just convince me that there are such things as change and hope going around in the world. I thought I was meant to be a bit overweight for a really long time. But now I've seen changes, and I know that little by little I'll achieve my goal.

I have my second appointment with the nutritionist this Saturday. I'm even more nervous than I was last time. I feel that, for some reason, the process has slowed down. It's frustrating, but I keep saying to myself: be patient. So I'll be happy if I've only lost 3lbs; and I'll obviously let you know how it went.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll keep cross-training and boxing for you (actually, for me)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment